One Serious WAHM

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

5 Money-Saving Tips

Being a work at home mom means that most of you will be giving up an income. You need to learn to use your money wisely. Fortunately (or not) for me, I decided to work from home only a year or so after getting my first post-graduate school job. I've never experienced not living on a budget, but having my son has made me aware of more ways to save money. Try out these money-saving tips for your work at home lifestyle.

1. Cut down the wardrobe.
You don't need a full professional wardrobe if you're working from home. If you meet with clients, you can stick with one business suit. Otherwise, you should get business casual but comfortable attire. That doesn't mean that you have to toss everything you have, but think about how many outfits you really need when you're considering buying more clothes.

2. Start making more foods from scratch.
While you won't necessarily have more time, you can learn to use the time you do have better. You can learn to bake cookies and put on bread at the same time or to make dinner dishes from scratch - only now you're home all day. That means you can make more food and freeze it to eat later. You can learn to save by cutting down on pre-packaged convenience foods.

3. Buy used furniture for your office.
While you may want an office that rivals what you had in the corporate world, it isn't necessary. Who's going to see it? Go for inexpensive or used for your office. I purchased my desk for $10 at a yard sale, and I've been using it for 18 months now. It's worn but stable, and when my son colors on it, I don't mind. Your home office won't stay pristine, so go used and save some green.

4. Reuse. Reuse. Reuse.
Many office environments have a sparkling look. Everything's new. Office supplies are gobbled up like there's no tomorrow. You don't have that luxury now. Learn to reuse manila folders by using file labels. When you need a new binder, check to see if the information in one you already have can be filed elsewhere or tossed. Check around your house for makeshift containers so that you're not spending a fortune equipping your office.

5. Buy snacks.
While it may sound counterproductive to save money by spending, it isn't. If I don't have snacks on hand, I'm more likely to make a sandwich or eat leftovers. If I have a canister of peanuts, though, I'll eat them instead. It saves money to prepare for eating throughout the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home