One Serious WAHM

Sunday, March 05, 2006

5 Ways to Entertain Your Children While You Work

Entertaining your children while you're working can be tough. You may find that while you don't ever want to shove your children off to entertain themselves, you sometimes need to in order to meet a deadline. These are some of the tricks I've learned with my son to help keep him occupied when I'm busy.

Set up a desk for your little one.
I gather up junk magazines and other mail that I don't want. Then when I need to work, I bring it out and let him play. He’s big enough now to write, so he gets a pen as well. He’ll stay occupied for a few minutes with his office work.

Purchase special toys.
I've bought three or four inexpensive little toys that I bring out only when I'm working and need him to stay busy. Because the toys aren't always available, they're more interesting. It’s important if you use this method to keep the toys stored away where you can get to them easily, but your little one can't find them.

Allow them to get into something.
Okay, I'll admit it. I've handed over a box of tissues to be taken out one by one when I was on a tight deadline. Though it isn't a good solution long-term, it is a way to keep the kids at bay for a few minutes. You can allow them to look through a box of craft stuff or to pull out the movies. Pick something that you can clean up in 5 minutes or less, and you won't feel so guilty about it.

Let them in on the action.
Obviously this idea works better for some home businesses than others. Still even with writing, there are ways my son can "help." When I'm preparing queries to send in the mail, I let him play with extra envelopes or empty books of stamps. We're sitting on the floor working together, so he thinks that we're playing together. I know that we're getting work done, and we're spending quality time with each other.

Get them a snack.
I'm not suggesting that you gorge your child. Instead part of your job as a work at home parent is to work around your child's schedules. That's the office politics part of what you do. When your child's having a snack, you can be reviewing paperwork or setting up the next day's tasks. When your child's taking a bath, you can wipe down the counters and sink (as long as you're paying attention to the bath, too!). There are plenty of ways you can learn to work around your child’s activities so that you're making the most of your time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home