One Serious WAHM

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Career Goals - part 1

Brian and I have been doing a lot of talking about my career goals lately. I must say that for the first time in quite a while, I'm pumped about the prospects! Let me give you a little background.

I have a bachelor's degree with a triple major: history, sociology, and women's studies. I originally went to graduate school in history but didn't care for the program. I left to become a general assignment reporter in a major metropolitan area.

When I got pregnant with my son, I left my job to pursue a career as a freelancer. The road has been tough! I got my first content writing gig in October 2004 working for two guys from England who own an SEO company. From there, I took jobs as bid sites, keyword article banks, and other content sites.

We needed the money, so I did the work. I didn't enjoy it, however, and I found that my own writing dreams were on the backburner because of everything else going on.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been researching self-publishing. I've always been a take charge kind of person. I realized that even if I go the traditional publishing route, I'll still have to do much of my own marketing and publicity. If that's the case, then why not do the whole thing myself?

Then there's Dawson. Brian and I naively started an online company, Dawson Media, LLC, in 2005. We had no clue what we were doing, and it didn't go that well. We have to file an annual report with the state, and we were going to just close up shop with the filing.

Now that I've been talking about self-pubbing, and I'm working on an anthology, we've decided to revamp Dawson and keep it open as a small (very small for now!) publishing company, which is what we intended in the beginning.

To break up the text, I'm going to continue this post with a part 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home