One Serious WAHM

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

5 Business Ideas for WAHMs

In my time as a WAHM, I've considered (and even tried!) a number of businesses. Although I knew I wanted to write, I didn't give myself permission to focus only on my writing. I kept thinking that I needed something else. Here are a few of the businesses I've tried.

Multi-Level Marketing

I joined Melaleuca. This Idaho-based wellness company sells products that the company reps claim are non-toxic. What I learned was that you build the business by building your sales down line. You have to recruit people to make money. I discovered I'm not the recruitment type, but if you have a sales personality, you may be able to succeed in this type of business.


Online Auctions
This idea never got off the ground. I thought that I'd sell on eBay and other online auction sites. I even purchase a few items for the venture. What I discovered instead was that I wasn't organized enough yet to make it happen and make any considerable money. Right now I have three items that I'm going to test to see if I can start earning money for my son's college fund through online auctions.

Crafts
What was I thinking?!? The truth is that I'm not a crafter. I'd like to be. I envy people who are, but I'm not. My mother-in-law has a knack for seeing a few items and being able to put them together into something beautiful. I need to buy things ready-made. Crafting is a lucrative home-based business, though. It's very common for moms to make their crafts in the evenings and sell them online or through craft shows. I just wish my husband had the courage to tell me to give up that idea.

Bookmarks
Perhaps this idea could work. I would need better printing equipment to make it happen, though. I came up with a few bookmark ideas and even designed them. Then I got stumped. I hadn't thought through my plan, and I didn't know how to market them or where to sell them. I also couldn't make enough per bookmark because I'd have to pay someone else to print them. If you have a quality laser printer and a laminator, then this business idea could work. You'd need a niche market, but if you can find one, then you're in business.

Disciple's Cross
Yes, this is technically a craft, but the crafts in #3 were my own designs. I bought the kit for Disciple's Cross with the intention of selling them through the buy-back program. I discovered that not only could I not make the crosses well, but the buy-back program isn't what it's cracked up to be. They're months and months behind in paying people. The people who succeed with DC are the ones who use it as a supplier. They make the crosses and then sell them on their own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home